Surface Design Association Washington Exhibit June 2016- April 2017
The intention of this exhibit is to showcase the depth and breadth of the surface designer’s work in Washington State. The exhibition will contain original, innovative artwork which is technically of high quality and which results in a show of overall high impact. The concept of Fiber Fusion is totally up to the interpretation of the artist. “Surface design refers to any process that gives structure, pattern, or color to fiber. Fibers used could include handmade felt, paper, fabric, clothing or basket-making materials, among others. To these surface designers dye, paint, print, stitch, bead, and otherwise enhance or embellish. More than the methods, surface designers are interested in the unlimited options for experimenting with color, texture, and design” (SurfaceDesign.org). As well as the exhibits, workshops and coordinating events will be offered at the venues throughout the exhibition.
All current Surface Design Association Washington members are invited to enter the SDA WA traveling exhibition. Membership is available at: http://www.surfacedesign.org/join
ENTRY DEADLINE: Entries CLOSED as of March 20, 2016
This traveling exhibition will be hosted by four different galleries around Washington State.
June 2016: Allied Arts Gallery, Richland WA
November 2016-January 2017: VALA Art Center, Redmond WA
February 2017: Northwind Arts Center, Port Townsend WA
March 2017: Schack Art Center, Everett WA
|UW Faculty Professor of Art, specializing in Fiber|
|Layne Goldsmith, professor of Art at the University of Washington since 1983, is an educational entrepreneur specializing in many aspects of textile production. As a studio artist, her work has been exhibited nationally and internationally and is included in both private and public collections. Her research has led to textile projects with artists and artisans from Italy, Japan, Colombia, Guatemala, Chile, Peru, and Nepal. She is the 2011 recipient of the UW Distinguished faculty award for Lifelong Learning. Since 2004 she has designed and produced custom rugs woven in Nepal by Good Weave certified producers and now under her own label, Layne Goldsmith Studio. She also specializes in Natural Dyes and teaches workshops in her studio: Botanica Dyeworks. Layne’s forays into the world of plant colorants began in the early 1970’s.|
|Owner- Gallery IMA, Seattle and MFA in Fiber|
|Young H. Chang is the owner/director of Gallery IMA in Seattle, WA. Through this art venue, Young represents a variety of Northwest and international artists specializing in a variety of mediums. Young received her BFA from Ewha Woman’s University in Seoul, South Korea in 1986 and her MFA in fibers from the University of Washington in 2001.|
|Director of Curatorial Administration, Tacoma Art Museum|
|Rock Hushka is the lead curator as well as the Curator of Contemporary and Northwest Art at Tacoma Art Museum, Tacoma, Washington. The museum is the major collector of craft in the Seattle region. Tacoma Art Museum has more than 3,000 pieces in its collection. Hushka’s received his Bachelor of Fine Arts at the University of WA and his Masters of Arts in Art History at the University of Wisconson-Madison. Rock is also an author of several books focused on artists and exhibitions, as well as writing magazine articles for publications such as “FiberArts”.|
• The Deb E. Taylor Spirit of Innovation Award $300
• Juror’s Award $200
• Two honorable mention awards $100 each
Fiber Fusion Timeline:
• Friday, October 16, 2015: Prospectus released to membership
• Friday, January 15, 2016: Entry form released and open to accept entries
• Sunday March 20, 2016: Entry deadline- 12 midnight
• Saturday, April 16, 2016: email notifications of acceptance
• Saturday, May 28, 2016: Artwork to be received
• Monday, May 31, 2016: Install artwork at Allied Arts, Richland
• Tuesday, June 1, 2016: “Fiber Fusion” opens in Richland, WA at Allied Arts
• Sunday, June 5, 2016: Opening reception at Allied Arts, Richland 1-3 pm
• Thursday, June 23, 2016: Show closes in Richland
• Monday, November 7- Sunday November 13, 2016– Install artwork at VALA, Redmond
• Wednesday, November 16, 2016 – “Fiber Fusion” opens in Redmond WA at VALA Art Center
• Saturday, November 19, 2016 – Opening Reception at VALA
• Friday, January 13, 2017 Show closes in Redmond
• Jan – Install artwork at Northwind, Port Townsend
• Thursday, February 2, 2017: “Fiber Fusion” opens at Northwind Arts Center, Port Townsend
• Saturday, February 4, 2017: Opening reception at Northwind Arts Center
• Sunday, February 26, 2017: Show closes in Port Townsend
• Monday, Feb 27, 2017: Artwork delivered to Schack for installation
• Thursday, March 9, 2017: “Fiber Fusion” opens at Schack Art Center, Everett
• Thursday, March 9, 2017: Opening reception at Schack Art Center
• Saturday, April 15, 2017: Show closes in Everett
• Sunday, April 16, 2017: Pick up of work. Art will be mailed back to the artist providing return postage is provided by the artist.
Guidelines and Requirements:
• Entrants must be a current member of the Surface Design Association and live/work in Washington state. Membership is available at http://www.surfacedesign.org/join
• All works must be original and created during 2013-¬‐2016.
• Collaborative pieces will be accepted as long as ALL of the artists are members of the Surface Design Association (SDA) and Washington residents.
• Two and three dimensional pieces are qualified. Pieces that can hang from the ceiling are qualified as long as they weigh no more than 25 lbs and also have alternative wall hanging devices for galleries that cannot allow art hung from the ceiling. Wearable art and jewelry pieces are qualified.
• All work must be ready to hang or rest on a pedestal. No saw tooth hangers. If a special hanging mechanism is required to hang your piece, such as a rod or a form, you must provide the rod , form , hanging device or alternate hanging device and any wires with the art.
• Art can be no larger than 60” wide and 74” high.
• Artists are encouraged to supply hanging instructions.
• Pedestal base dimensions are up to 16 x 16”, pedestal bases are not covered by glass or Plexiglas. 3D art must be easily movable-¬‐not exceeding 25lbs.
• All work must be for sale. Prices exclude sales tax. (Most galleries will collect and pay the sales tax, if the piece is sold at their show. If the artist sells the piece outside of the show, the artist must collect and pay the sales tax. Galleries generally specify in the contract that they are due at least a portion of the commission, should the artist sell the piece as a result of having the piece at their show.) Artwork is committed to complete the entire run of the traveling exhibition- artists will be responsible for getting the artwork to purchasers after the completion of the exhibition.
• Commissions from Galleries- Artists to determine pricing taking commissions into account. Each gallery or art center charges from 20-40%. Art “value” is the amount you will receive after commission is collected.
• Successful entries must be available from May 15, 2016¬‐April 30, 2017
• Each gallery retains the right to refuse to show pieces at their sole discretion. Many galleries will not show artwork that has already shown in their gallery or geographic area. This does not disqualify a piece from being accepted into the show and having the piece shown in the other galleries.
• While it is the intention to show all accepted pieces in all galleries, due to different gallery sizes, configurations, and restrictions, some pieces may not be on display in every gallery.
• All work must be labeled on the back (if possible) with title of work, artist name, address, email, phone number of artist and price. (If unable to label on the back it is the artist’s responsibility to contact email@example.com to discuss alternative labeling).
• Between shows, art will be stored in secure, water-free spaces in personal homes.
• If one or more of your pieces are selected, you will be asked to prepared an artist statement and resume for a portfolio.
Submission & entry process:
• Submission indicates artist agrees with the terms of the show.
• Each person may submit up to four entries.
• Entry fee: $30. for up to four entries. Student discount rate $20-contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a copy of student ID and a request for student rate.
• Use one entry form for up to four entries.
• Jpeg images only. One overall/full image and one detail image per piece for each entry. Image resolutions should be a minimum 150 dpi (preferably 300 dpi) and minimum 1200 pixels on the shortest side. No single image may exceed 5MB. (If your art is accepted, you will need to provide images at 300 dpi and an optional headshot.)
• Digital images should be labeled as : LastName_FirstName_Titleofpiece_full.jpg and LastName_FirstName_Titleofpiece_detail.jpg (if detail shot is included)
All entries should be submitted online at: http://sdafiberfusionshow.org/fiber-fusion-entry-form/
Packing & Shipping:
Details on packing and shipping will be sent with letter of acceptance to the show. Artist is responsible for all shipping costs. Drop off and pick up of artwork will be available in a location in the greater Seattle area. Accepted pieces may be shipped by USPS, UPS or FedEx. Artwork must be received May 25-28, 2016. Artist is responsible for insuring the art. A prepaid return label must be included in the shipment for return of the art at the end of the exhibition, unless you will be picking it up. Please include a printed copy of your online Entry Form with signature within the package. Address for shipping will be included in the acceptance package.
• Insurance- insurance for the entire exhibition is being investigated.
• Educational Opportunities, such as instructing classes or workshops, giving artist talks or docent tours, etc. will be offered at all venues. More information forthcoming.
• Regional opportunities- Concurrent non-juried shows for SDA WA members from the region will be run, to encourage local participation and exposure.
Please read the prospectus and entry form carefully. Questions may be emailed to email@example.com